Wednesday, November 2, 2011

First for Everything


The whole time I was reading today, I kept thinking I was still doing my historical research paper for English class, so I kept trying to find facts in my book while listening to every detail.  Over time, my brain remembered I am supposed to relax and enjoy this reading unlike my dumb research.  But, I don't know why but I keep feeling so happy for the black maids.  I know I should feel bad, and I do but they just keep overcoming things that black people- in that time- normally wouldn't.  Turns out that everyone has agreed to write a book about what it is like working for a white family.  They have to keep this a secret.  Miss Skeeter was refuses to
 do this, but she actually had a date, who in my opinion, changed her mind.  She got all dressed up, re did her hair, bought new shoes and a new dress... without approval.  She is standing up for what she wants so she can have one good night.  <---- One reason why I am so happy for her. Her date in my opinion was just funny because it sort of went bad.  The guy turned out to have drinking problems.  He had kept ordering drink after drink after drink, he looks at other women, and by the end of the night, the small talk conversations were being held by Hilly who also had a date.  On the date, Stuart (Skeeters date) asked her what she did.  She said, writer of the household cleaning section of the newspaper.  He laughs at her like that is nothing to be proud of.  He was working with an oil company making a lot more money.  In my opinion, she decided to help in writing this book so she can say she did something useful and something more accomplishing the household sections of the newspaper.  She would be proud of that book, and she would feel more accepted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment