Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Surf without Fear- Currently

It is hard to believe that this soul surfer is still going to keep on surfing after her long recovery.  I am scared of sharks just from watching Shark Week on the TV once a year, let alone after getting my arm completely bit off.  Recently while reading, she described the pain and the way she reacted was incredible.  She said when she was out with her family, all she felt was pressure.  And then red she saw blood red surrounding her.  Then she simply and calmly said, "I got bit by a shark." No screaming, no panic, and no fear.  She just started swimming with one arm back to the shore, even though it was a quarter of a mile away.  There was people there on the beach that called the ambulance.  On the way back, she prayed over and over out loud.  That is probably something I would be doing but I would also be crying and panicking at the same time.  I would also be scared that the shark would come back and attack me and bite off another arm or leg or anything.  According to shark week, the shark usually wants to come back and attack the same person once they get a taste the first time.  It amazing what people can learn just from shark week! When I went to Florida last Spring Break, and when I was relaxing on the beach one hot afternoon and because it was so hot, I sat my chair in the water just a little bit so I would stay cool, while still laying out on the beach.  I was closing my eyes so they would not look directly into the sun, and when I opened them, there was a surprise by my feet, A stingray! It was so scary! I did not know if I should get my feet our of the way but that would scare the sting ray, so instead I just watched it sweep by my feet waiting for it to sting me.  I am so glad it didn't! For the majority of the rest of the day, I just stayed on the sand where no sting rays could sting me.  If I was scared of a little sting ray that did no harm to me, I don't understand how "soul surfer" isn't afraid of sharks who did actually hurt her.

No comments:

Post a Comment